Torment, now that takes planning and forethought. I like to focus on a
I must see this movie. I must drug my husband so he wakes up duct-taped to a chair in the movie theater, because that is the only way I will "convince" him to see a movie whose premise requires a lobotomy to accept.
Plot recap: in the future everybody dead. Survivors are on a train that goes around the world forever. People trapped in the back of the train try to take over the front of the train from oppressive elite. Violence ensues.
This movie hits a lot of my happy points:
- dark-ass science fiction
- excellent actors
- a battle scene with hatchets!
- spectacle, so much spectacle
- trains! trains!
- Tilda Swinton and the way she moves (dismissive hand flick!)
- A train with a perpetual-fucking-motion machine engine? Why not a team of flying monkeys pulling the damn thing? This isn't sci-fi, it's fantasy.
- There is no version of reality, imagined or actual, where train tracks don't require constant maintenance. Constant!
- The train cars are just endowed with magic building materials that can last forever without wearing out, need new welds or replacement? You can change an axle while in motion? Really?
- Nothing ever falls on the track like snow? Rocks? Big fucking trees?! Yet this is in a post-apocalypse wasteland, correct?
- There is no way you can support this volume of people without any agriculture or meat production. There's no train that long that can actually run.
- This is a joke from a materials and engine perspective. Don't these people have a basic understanding of how things work?
- I can suspend my disbelief, but only so far. Why must you ask so much of me? Why is this is so stupid?
I completely agree with this. When it comes to procedural television that showcase things like magically sharpening bad video so it's high-definition resolution, then yes, everyone is stupider for seeing that. When it comes to movies? He stands alone. It is a train that goes around the world forever. FOR-EV-VERRRR. That is stupid-glorious. They have made a world where the elite look like a crone and the downtrodden look like this:
Visit me on Pinterest and Flickr and follow me on Twitter!